Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Field Trip 1/21/12

Today (Saturday), my class went on another field trip! We went to an outdoor history museum called St. Faggans just outside Cardiff, and a retired coal mine called Big Pit near Blaenavon. They were both in effect history museums, so I got to see lots of very OLD things today. St. Faggans was beautiful. Some highlights were a castle and incredible landscaping that I included a few pictures of. After that, we took a long bus ride over to Big Pit which was my favorite part. We got to put on hardhats with lights and belts that had an emergency air filter (in case gases raised to a dangerous level). They took us 300 feet down and gave us a tour of what the mines were like in the early 1900's. Our tour guide definitely didn't sell me on mining- it seems like torture to me! It's so dusty and dark down there. Unfortunately they didn't allow us to bring cameras down because dry cell batteries can spark? Here are some pics for ya!


Places I've been so far.


Apparently that's how they used to make clothes. It's still in working order at the museum! They're making a blanket on the right.


Old boat house. And me.







The only picture I was able to get of the mine.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pics! What an incredible adventure you're having. Thanks for keeping up the blog.

    ReplyDelete